Connect with us

Sports

Ronda Rousey re-retires after 17-second submission defeat of Gina Carano

MMA: Rousey vs CaranoMay 16, 2026; Los Angeles, California, USA; Ronda Rousey (blue gloves) celebrates defeating Gina Carano (red gloves) after a women’s featherweight bout at Intuit Dome. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images

Netflix’s MMA debut was capped off with a high-stakes women’s legacy fight, as inaugural UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey made her return to the sport opposite Gina Carano – with Rousey winning with her signature armbar only 17 seconds into the featherweight fight at Inglewood, Calif., at Most Valuable Promotions’ first MMA event.

An immediate takedown from Rousey saw Carano briefly attempt a guillotine before Rousey popped her head out, landed a few strikes from mount and locked in the inevitable submission.

Rousey (13-2-0 MMA) secured her 10th submission win, returning to the cage following an exit from MMA in December of 2016.

She announced after the win that she’s once again retiring to focus on having more children.

“There’s no way I could’ve ended it better than this,” Rousey said at the InTuit Dome. “I want to have some more babies and I’ve got to get cooking.”

Rousey, held back by tears, gave it up for Carano following the fight.

“Gina is the person who brought me into MMA,” Rousey said. “She’s the only person who could have brought me back to MMA. She’s my f***ing hero, man.”

Carano (7-2-0 MMA) had been inactive in the sport since August of 2009, returning to MMA after a conversation last fall at Rousey’s encouragement. She admitted the fight was too fast for her, regretting what more she could have done in a short timeframe.

“I feel great,” Carano said after the loss. “I wanted to fight, and I didn’t get that. But she trained. She had her gameplan. I have so much love and respect for her, and this was a victory in my life. She changed it. I woke up at 3 a.m. every morning thinking about her. I took 100 pounds off my body, which is going to give me a longer life. I fell back in love with mixed martial arts. There’s so many things to think about here. It’s just (that) the fight didn’t go my way.”

Carano, 44, is unsure whether she’ll return to MMA, choosing to keep the door open.

-Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Real Salt Lake rallies to beat Colorado in Rocky Mountain Cup match

MLS: Colorado Rapids at Real Salt LakeMay 16, 2026; Sandy, Utah, USA; Real Salt Lake forward Sergi Solans (22) shoots the ball against Colorado Rapids defender Lucas Herrington (22) during the first half at America First Field. Mandatory Credit: Rob Gray-Imagn Images

Sergi Solans scored the go-ahead goal on a header in the 68th minute as Real Salt Lake claimed a 2-1 win over the Colorado Rapids on Saturday in Sandy, Utah.

Zavier Gozo also scored, and Solans and Juan Manuel Sanabria recorded assists for Real Salt Lake (8-4-1, 25 points) in the first leg of the Rocky Mountain Cup.

Wayne Frederick scored for Colorado (5-8-1, 16 points) in his second match back after a two-week absence due to a leg injury.

Salt Lake took a 2-1 lead when Sanabria’s pass from outside the box connected with Solans, who rose above a line of defenders and headed home the goal.

Colorado opened the scoring in the seventh minute when Connor Ronan drove a corner kick to the back post, where Paxten Aaronson settled it, shook a defender and slid a pass to Frederick, who popped a shot over RSL goalkeeper Rafael Cabral for a 1-0 advantage.

A Rapids turnover set up RSL’s equalizer in the 36th minute. Colorado defender Jackson Travis’ backward pass was intercepted by Solans, whose patient cross set up Gozo’s sliding goal.

Earlier in the match, Salt Lake’s attack began to build in the 29th minute, as Gozo’s shot from the corner of the box was covered up by Rapids goalie Nico Hansen.

Connor Ronan’s stretch pass from midfield connected with Rafael Navarro in stride in the 52nd minute. Cabral deflected Navarro’s shot from 10 yards out, then quickly turned toward the goal to secure the ball before it crossed the line.

The pace increased in the 72nd minute as Gozo forced Hansen to gather a shot ticketed for the lower-right corner. In quick transition at the other end, Georgi Minoungou’s pass found Navarro, whose header missed high and wide.

In the 84th minute, Solans had another chance with a header but couldn’t cleanly connect with Sanabria’s corner kick.

Real Salt Lake was active in its attacking third, as eight of its 17 shots were on frame, while Colorado placed four of its eight shots on target. Hansen finished with six saves, while Cabral had three.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Astros' Jose Altuve to undergo imaging after exiting with side injury

MLB: Texas Rangers at Houston AstrosMay 16, 2026; Houston, Texas, USA; Houston Astros second baseman Jose Altuve (27) hits a home run to left field against the Texas Rangers during the first inning at Daikin Park. Mandatory Credit: Erik Williams-Imagn Images

Veteran Astros infielder Jose Altuve is set to undergo imaging Sunday morning after exiting Houston’s 4-1 win over the Texas Rangers on Saturday with a left side injury.

Altuve left the game in the eighth inning after sustaining the injury on a swing. He hit the ball, grounding it to third but did not run out the play, instead grimacing in pain and walking back toward the dugout.

“It’s not good he couldn’t even get out of the box and run,” Astros manager Joe Espada said.

Altuve went directly to the clubhouse after he was evaluated outside the dugout by Espada and a Houston athletic trainer. He declined comment postgame, saying he would wait until he gets his MRI before speaking about the injury.

Altuve, 36, entered Saturday hitting .245 with three homers and 11 RBIs in 41 games this season for the Astros. He’s played his entire 16-year career with Houston, posting a career .302 average with 258 homers and 900 RBIs.

Should Altuve need to go on the injured list, it would add to the Astros’ serious infield injury woes. Third baseman Carlos Correa is out after undergoing season-ending ankle surgery, and shortstop Jeremy Pena remains on the IL with a hamstring strain.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Conor McGregor returning to fight Max Holloway in July

News: 2025 Presidential Inauguration of Donald TrumpJan 20, 2025; Washington, DC, USA; UFC fighter Conor McGregor is seen during inauguration ceremonies in Emancipation Hall at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, on Jan. 19, 2025. Mandatory Credit: Angelina Katsanis-Pool via Imagn Images

Conor McGregor, a big name in UFC despite not fighting since 2021, will return for a match with Max Holloway on July 11 in Las Vegas, UFC CEO Dana White announced on Saturday.

Ireland’s McGregor (22-6-0) will face fellow former champion Holloway (27-9-0) in a nontitle welterweight bout as the main event of UFC 329 during International Fight Week. It’s a rematch of their featherweight bout in August 2013, which McGregor won by three-round decision despite a torn ACL.

McGregor, 37, last fought on July 10, 2021, losing by TKO to Dustin Poirier after breaking his leg during the final seconds of the first round. The fighters had split two earlier matches in the trilogy.

Another return was canceled when McGregor sustained a toe injury before his match with Michael Chandler scheduled for June 2024.

McGregor became the first UFC fighter to be champion simultaneously in two weight divisions in 2016. He knocked out Jose Aldo for the featherweight belt in December 2015 and stopped Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title in November 2016. He is 1-3 in his last four bouts.

Holloway, 34, is a former featherweight champion who has beaten Justin Gaethje, Aldo (twice), Poirier and Frankie Edgar. The Hawaii native is 1-1 since moving to lightweight in 2025, losing his last bout to Charles Oliveira by five-round decision in March.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading