Connect with us

Sports

Reds' Chris Paddack happy for fresh start against Guardians

Syndication: The EnquirerCincinnati Reds Chris Paddack looks on from the dugout in the eighth inning of a MLB game between the Cincinnati Reds and Washington Nationals, Wednesday, May 13, 2026, at Great American Ball Park in downtown Cincinnati.

Chris Paddack is slated to make his first start for the Cincinnati Reds when they face the host Cleveland Guardians on Saturday.

Paddack (0-5, 7.63 ERA) signed a one-year deal as a free agent with the Reds on Wednesday after being designated for assignment by the Miami Marlins and subsequently released.

Injuries this season to pitchers Hunter Greene (elbow), Brandon Williamson (left shoulder) and Rhett Lowder (right shoulder discomfort) led Cincinnati to sign Paddack, 30, an eight-year veteran who split last season between the Minnesota Twins and Detroit Tigers.

His most recent start was May 3. Paddack was the losing pitcher in a Marlins’ loss to the Philadelphia Phillies in that game, giving up seven runs on six hits and three walks in 2 2/3 innings and was DFA’d two days later.

“He had a tough time in Florida, and we needed a pitcher,” Reds’ manager Terry Francona said. “And the hope is that he catches fire and gives us some help, because we’ve all seen that happen. It’s also good that [he’s] a veteran who knows what he’s doing, throwing strikes.”

Paddack took the opportunity to refocus after his release.

“I was home for about a week, got to spend time with the family and just kind of reset mentally, and got a call [Tuesday] that the Reds are interested, and here we are,” Paddack said Wednesday. “I’m excited for this opportunity. You look at my stats to start the season, it’s not ideal, right? It’s never how we want to start. But that doesn’t define who you are. And it’s pretty cool to see a group of guys like this, front office, coaching staff, players saying, ‘Hey, let’s give this guy a chance. We know what he’s capable of.’ I want to contribute any way I can, and I’m excited to get back on the saddle.”

He has an 0-1 career record and 2.41 ERA against the Guardians in four games (three starts). Paddack has allowed five runs in 18 2/3 innings facing Cleveland.

He will be trying to build on Andrew Abbott’s start on Friday night.

Abbott allowed a run and four hits in five-plus innings in Cincinnati’s 7-6 win in the Ohio Cup series.

He left the game with a 3-0 lead that grew to 6-1 when the Reds scored three more in the top of the eighth. But in the home half of that inning, reliever Graham Ashcraft gave up four runs without getting an out to move the score to 6-5. Both teams scored a run in the ninth inning as the Reds held on.

Key to Cleveland’s comeback attempt was rookie Travis Bazzana. The No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 MLB Draft, Bazzana was 2-for-5 with a run and an RBI, both coming in the eighth inning.

Manager Stephen Vogt is happy with what he has seen so far from Bazzana through his first 15 career games.

“He hit the ball hard there at the end,” Vogt said. “I thought we had a number of guys that had really good at-bats tonight. But Travis’ at-bats have been very, very good versus left, versus right.”

The Guardians are scheduled to send 26-year-old left-hander Joey Cantillo (3-1, 2.98) to the mound on Saturday.

Cantillo has won his past two starts, defeating the Los Angeles Angels and Kansas City Royals. He allowed a combined one run on eight hits over 11 innings. He has just one brief career appearance against the Reds, striking out the only batter he faced in that game.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Dodgers score season-high 15 runs, pound Angels

MLB: Los Angeles Dodgers at Los Angeles AngelsMay 16, 2026; Anaheim, California, USA; Los Angeles Dodgers two-way player Shohei Ohtani (17) slides to third base on a single by shortstop Mookie Betts (not pictured) ahead of a tag from Los Angeles Angels third baseman Vaughn Grissom (5) during the first inning against the Los Angeles Angels at Angel Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kiyoshi Mio-Imagn Images

Shohei Ohtani drove in five runs with a late triple and double, Justin Wrobleski combined with three relievers on an eight-hitter and the Los Angeles Dodgers took advantage of Jose Soriano’s wildness to wallop the Los Angeles Angels 15-2 on Saturday night in the second game of their rivalry series in Anaheim, Calif.

The Dodgers did all but one run of their season-high scoring in three innings, with Ohtani doing all his damage in a four-run eighth and five-run ninth.

While the game was still competitive, Alex Call had the only hit of a five-run sixth, a two-run single, helping the Dodgers pull away 24 hours after they had opened the three-game set with a 6-0 victory.

Ohtani walked and scored on Will Smith’s sacrifice fly in the first inning for the game’s only scoring until the decisive sixth.

After getting Ohtani on a grounder to second to lead off the sixth, Soriano (6-3) walked Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman before hitting Smith to load the bases.

Two more walks — to Andy Pages and Max Muncy — produced runs and also ended Soriano’s night, one in which he allowed just one hit in 5 1/3 innings.

Reliever Chase Silseth plunked Teoscar Hernandez to force in the inning’s third run, and Call followed with his two-RBI single to make it 6-0.

Jo Adell’s two-run double in the bottom of the inning got the Angels on the scoreboard, but that’s all they got against Wrobleski (6-1) in his six innings. Coming off his worst outing and only loss of the season, 7-2 last Sunday against the Atlanta Braves, the left-hander limited the Angels to two runs and seven hits, walking one and striking out five.

Soriano was charged with six runs in his 5 1/3 innings. He walked six and struck out six.

The Dodgers blew the game open in the eighth when Ohtani tripled into the right-field corner, scoring two runs, and raced home when right fielder Adell’s throw eluded his cutoff man for an error. Betts then followed with a home run, his fourth, to make it 10-2.

In an inning that ended with infielder Adam Frazier on the mound, the Dodgers reached the 15-run mark in the ninth, capped by Ohtani’s three-run double.

Muncy scored three times for the Dodgers, who have won four in a row, while Ohtani, Betts, Smith and Pages scored twice apiece.

Ohtani, Betts and the Angels’ Jorge Soler, who had two doubles, were the only players in the game with multiple hits, all with two.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Ronda Rousey re-retires after 17-second submission defeat of Gina Carano

MMA: Rousey vs CaranoMay 16, 2026; Los Angeles, California, USA; Ronda Rousey (blue gloves) celebrates defeating Gina Carano (red gloves) after a women’s featherweight bout at Intuit Dome. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images

Netflix’s MMA debut was capped off with a high-stakes women’s legacy fight, as inaugural UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey made her return to the sport opposite Gina Carano – with Rousey winning with her signature armbar only 17 seconds into the featherweight fight at Inglewood, Calif., at Most Valuable Promotions’ first MMA event.

An immediate takedown from Rousey saw Carano briefly attempt a guillotine before Rousey popped her head out, landed a few strikes from mount and locked in the inevitable submission.

Rousey (13-2-0 MMA) secured her 10th submission win, returning to the cage following an exit from MMA in December of 2016.

She announced after the win that she’s once again retiring to focus on having more children.

“There’s no way I could’ve ended it better than this,” Rousey said at the InTuit Dome. “I want to have some more babies and I’ve got to get cooking.”

Rousey, held back by tears, gave it up for Carano following the fight.

“Gina is the person who brought me into MMA,” Rousey said. “She’s the only person who could have brought me back to MMA. She’s my f***ing hero, man.”

Carano (7-2-0 MMA) had been inactive in the sport since August of 2009, returning to MMA after a conversation last fall at Rousey’s encouragement. She admitted the fight was too fast for her, regretting what more she could have done in a short timeframe.

“I feel great,” Carano said after the loss. “I wanted to fight, and I didn’t get that. But she trained. She had her gameplan. I have so much love and respect for her, and this was a victory in my life. She changed it. I woke up at 3 a.m. every morning thinking about her. I took 100 pounds off my body, which is going to give me a longer life. I fell back in love with mixed martial arts. There’s so many things to think about here. It’s just (that) the fight didn’t go my way.”

Carano, 44, is unsure whether she’ll return to MMA, choosing to keep the door open.

-Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Astros start fast, power past Jacob deGrom, Rangers

MLB: Texas Rangers at Houston AstrosMay 16, 2026; Houston, Texas, USA; Houston Astros second baseman Jose Altuve (27) crosses home plate after hitting a home run to left field against the Texas Rangers during the first inning at Daikin Park. Mandatory Credit: Erik Williams-Imagn Images

Jose Altuve and Yordan Alvarez slugged first-inning home runs to key a four-homer assault that propelled the Houston Astros to a 4-1 victory over the visiting Texas Rangers on Saturday.

The Astros secured the three-game series and will aim for a sweep on Sunday in the finale. Houston prevented Rangers right-hander Jacob deGrom (3-3) from securing his 100th win by doing something only one other team has accomplished against deGrom in his illustrious career.

Altuve drilled a 2-0 fastball from deGrom 358 feet out to left field in the bottom of the first inning for his 42nd career leadoff home run. Altuve spotted the Astros a 1-0 lead with his fourth homer of the season and, two batters later, Alvarez doubled that margin by taking deGrom out to right.

Alvarez launched a 3-2 fastball 362 feet for his 15th home run this season. Suddenly trailing 2-0, deGrom rallied with strikeouts of Christian Walker and Braden Shewmake to begin a stretch where he retired eight of nine batters. Zach Dezenzo singled with two outs in the second inning.

But the Astros ambushed deGrom again in the fourth. Walker crushed the first pitch of that frame, a fastball, 422 feet to left-center field for his 11th home run and a 3-0 lead. After deGrom retired Shewmake and Brice Matthews, Zach Cole blasted his third homer 361 feet to right.

deGrom allowed four home runs for the second time in 257 career starts. On July 7, 2017, he surrendered four dingers in a 6-5 road win over the St. Louis Cardinals with the New York Mets. deGrom retired the final seven batters he faced following the Cole homer and surrendered four runs on five hits with four strikeouts in six innings. He matched his season high with 94 pitches.

Astros right-hander Kai-Wei Teng (2-3) worked five scoreless innings. He allowed two hits and issued four walks while notching seven strikeouts.

Joc Pederson produced an RBI single against Houston reliever Enyel De Los Santos in the top of the seventh, but the Rangers finished 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded 13 baserunners overall.

Altuve departed in the eighth, clutching his left side after grounding into a double play. He is set to undergo imaging Sunday morning.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading