Sports
Marlins turn to Sandy Alcantara in quest for series split vs. Braves
May 16, 2026; St. Petersburg, Florida, USA; Miami Marlins pitcher Sandy Alcantara (22) pitches during the first inning against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field. Mandatory Credit: Mike Watters-Imagn Images The Miami Marlins will try to halt their slide on Thursday when they send ace Sandy Alcantara to the mound in the finale of their four-game home series against the Atlanta Braves.
Atlanta bounced back from dropping the series opener to win the next two games and claim a 4-2 lead in the season set.
The Marlins have lost 11 of their last 17 games and to fall 12 games behind the first-place Braves in the National League East.
Thursday’s starting matchup features Alcantara (3-2, 3.53 ERA) against Atlanta’s Spencer Strider (1-0, 2.45) in a battle of right-handers.
“We’re certainly capable of getting on a good run and stringing some wins together but we’re not doing that,” Miami manager Clayton McCullough said. “We have a long road ahead of us and we just keep taking a step forward. We have a chance to even up a series with Sandy on the mound and that’s what we’ll be focusing on.”
Alcantara has gone four starts without receiving a decision. In his most recent outing on Saturday against Tampa Bay, he pitched six innings and allowed one unearned run with six strikeouts in a game the Marlins eventually won 10-5 in extra innings.
“Sandy deserves lot of credit, not only for how he pitched but for how that fifth inning could have really gotten away from him,” McCullough said after that game. “We didn’t take care of the ball behind him, uncharacteristic for a couple of guys. That’s where his maturity, his veteran-ness, his poise, to say, ‘You know what, I’m one pitch away from getting out of this.'”
Alcantara has made 16 career appearances (all starts) against the Braves, going 5-5 with a 3.31 ERA.
Strider began this season on the injured list with a right oblique strain and will be making his fourth start. The past two outings have been strong — six shutout innings against the Los Angeles Dodgers on April 19 and one run allowed in 5 1/3 frames versus the Boston Red Sox on Friday. He was credited with the 7-2 win against the Dodgers and took a no-decision as the Braves beat the Red Sox 3-2 in 10 innings.
“I would have liked to get deeper, put the pen in a better position,” Strider said after the game against Boston. “Didn’t command the ball very well with two strikes, got deep into counts. Not going to be spectacular every time out but felt like made pitches when I needed to.”
In five career appearances (three starts) against Miami, Strider is 2-2 with a 2.38 ERA.
In the 9-1 Atlanta win on Wednesday, Otto Lopez had two hits for the Marlins, upping his MLB-leading total to 68 raising his batting average to .349. It was his 11th multi-hit effort of the month.
Atlanta’s Michael Harris II batted second in the lineup for the second straight game, going a combined 4-for-10.
Dominic Smith and Austin Riley each had a three-run homer.
Both teams made a roster move on Wednesday.
The Marlins sent Braxton Garrett to Triple-A Jacksonville and recalled fellow left-hander Cade Gibson. Atlanta activated Eli White, who had been on the concussion list, and designated fellow outfielder Jose Azocar for assignment.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Brewers' Kyle Harrison dominates as Cubs shut out for fifth straight loss
May 20, 2026; Chicago, Illinois, USA; Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Kyle Harrison (52) throws the ball against the Chicago Cubs during the first inning at Wrigley Field. Mandatory Credit: David Banks-Imagn Images Kyle Harrison allowed two hits over seven shutout innings to help the visiting Milwaukee Brewers finish off the three-game sweep of the Chicago Cubs with a 5-0 win on Wednesday evening.
Harrison (5-1) struck out 11 and walked one while lowering his ERA to 1.77.
David Hamilton singled twice, tripled, scored two runs and drove in another in the No. 9 spot, and William Contreras also had three hits and scored a run for Milwaukee, which has won three in a row and six of seven. Left-hander DL Hall pitched two innings of no-hit ball to complete the shutout.
Edward Cabrera (3-2) started for the Cubs and allowed four runs and four hits in three innings before getting lifted one pitch into the fourth inning because of a blister on his right middle finger. The right-hander struck out two and walked two.
The Cubs have lost a season-high five in a row and nine of eleven after getting off to a 27-12 start.
The Brewers successfully challenged for catcher’s interference on Carson Kelly with one out in the second, putting Sal Frelick on base. Joey Ortiz then walked, bringing up Hamilton, who hit a hard single up the middle that Pete Crow-Armstrong charged, but the ball rolled under his glove and continued to the warning track, allowing all three runners to score for a 3-0 lead.
Contreras walked to lead off the third inning. He stole second, continued to third on a throwing error by Kelly and scored on Jake Bauers’ two-out single through the right side to make it 4-0.
With one out in the seventh, Hamilton tripled into the right field corner on a ball that went off the chest of right fielder Seiya Suzuki. Hamilton then scored on a wild pitch by Phil Maton to make it 5-0.
Harrison allowed a leadoff double into the left field corner by Nico Hoerner in the first. Hoerner tried to advance to third on deep fly to left-center and he was initially ruled safe, but Milwaukee challenged and the replay showed center fielder Garrett Mitchell’s throw was in time.
Harrison also walked Suzuki to start the second, but the 24-year-old left-hander retired the next 15 batters in a row before Alex Bregman singled to lead off the seventh. He was left stranded at first base.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Blue Jays RHP Jose Berrios undergoes Tommy John surgery
Feb 28, 2026; Tampa, Florida, USA; Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Jose Berrios (17) throws a pitch against the New York Yankees in the second inning during spring training at George M. Steinbrenner Field. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images Toronto Blue Jays right-hander Jose Berrios will miss at least another year of action after undergoing Tommy John surgery on Wednesday.
Dr. Keith Meister performed the procedure in Texas, beginning with the hope that only a minor removal of “loose bodies” in the elbow would be required. However, the ultimate diagnosis was that a full elbow ligament reconstruction was required.
“The bone in the elbow was on the ligament. Not ideal,” Toronto manager John Schneider said. “We kind of decided that, when they go in there, if that’s compromised at all, we’ll fix it. It was. He’ll be down for 12 to 14 months.”
Berrios has been on the injured list all season while trying to work his way back from the elbow ailment that kept him off the team’s postseason roster last fall. He made four minor league rehab appearances in the past month, going 0-1 with a 10.67 ERA in Class-A and Triple-A. Most recently, his fastball velocity was lower than normal for Triple-A Buffalo.
The 31-year-old veteran had been an ever-present part of the Toronto rotation since the Blue Jays acquired him from the Minnesota Twins in a July 2021 trade. He made at least 30 starts in each of the past five seasons, though he was briefly moved to the bullpen last September before landing on the injured list.
“It’s weird not having him,” Schneider said. “We were looking for him to get back to normal, and he was hoping for that, too. It’s definitely weird and frustrating for him, too.”
Last year, Berrios went 9-5 with a 4.17 ERA in 31 games (30 starts).
A two-time All-Star, Berrios has a career 108-82 record and a 4.08 ERA in 275 games, including 273 starts, for Minnesota (2016-21) and Toronto (2021-25).
He has two years and $48 million remaining on the seven-year, $131 million extension he signed with the Blue Jays in November 2021.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Blue Jays RHP Jose Berrios undergoes Tommy John surgery
Feb 28, 2026; Tampa, Florida, USA; Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Jose Berrios (17) throws a pitch against the New York Yankees in the second inning during spring training at George M. Steinbrenner Field. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images Toronto Blue Jays right-hander Jose Berrios will miss at least another year of action after undergoing Tommy John surgery on Wednesday.
Dr. Keith Meister performed the procedure in Texas, beginning with the hope that only a minor removal of “loose bodies” in the elbow would be required. However, the ultimate diagnosis was that a full elbow ligament reconstruction was required.
“The bone in the elbow was on the ligament. Not ideal,” Toronto manager John Schneider said. “We kind of decided that, when they go in there, if that’s compromised at all, we’ll fix it. It was. He’ll be down for 12 to 14 months.”
Berrios has been on the injured list all season while trying to work his way back from the elbow ailment that kept him off the team’s postseason roster last fall. He made four minor league rehab appearances in the past month, going 0-1 with a 10.67 ERA in Class-A and Triple-A. Most recently, his fastball velocity was lower than normal for Triple-A Buffalo.
The 31-year-old veteran had been an ever-present part of the Toronto rotation since the Blue Jays acquired him from the Minnesota Twins in a July 2021 trade. He made at least 30 starts in each of the past five seasons, though he was briefly moved to the bullpen last September before landing on the injured list.
“It’s weird not having him,” Schneider said. “We were looking for him to get back to normal, and he was hoping for that, too. It’s definitely weird and frustrating for him, too.”
Last year, Berrios went 9-5 with a 4.17 ERA in 31 games (30 starts).
A two-time All-Star, Berrios has a career 108-82 record and a 4.08 ERA in 275 games, including 273 starts, for Minnesota (2016-21) and Toronto (2021-25).
He has two years and $48 million remaining on the seven-year, $131 million extension he signed with the Blue Jays in November 2021.
–Field Level Media
