Sports
Ed Orgeron joins Lane Kiffin staff, reunites with LSU
Nov 27, 2021; Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA; LSU Tigers head coach Ed Orgeron looks on during the second half against the Texas A&M Aggies at Tiger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Stephen Lew-Imagn Images LSU reached an agreement with Ed Orgeron on Wednesday to join Lane Kiffin’s current staff in Baton Rouge, reuniting the school with its former head football coach.
Orgeron, 64, will be serving as a special assistant to recruiting and defense, per the school’s social media.
The 2019 national championship-winning coach spent five seasons as the head man for LSU and was a popular figure as a Louisiana native who won 51 games and went 4-1 in bowl games.
Eventually, the wins stopped coming and Orgeron was run out following back-to-back .500 seasons in 2020 and 2021.
Before that, he guided the Tigers to one of their greatest seasons in history, helming a dominant team headlined by Joe Burrow, Justin Jefferson and Ja’Marr Chase to a 15-0 record and two dominant wins in the playoffs.
Kiffin, LSU’s new head coach, was Orgeron’s boss at previous stops at Tennessee (2009) and USC (2010-13). Orgeron ultimately succeeded Kiffin at USC, becoming the interim coach to close out the 2013 season. The two previously coached together as assistant coaches at USC from 2001-04.
Orgeron also preceded Kiffin as the head coach at Ole Miss, going 10-25 there from 2005-07.
Kiffin closed his Ole Miss tenure 55-19, with a playoff berth last season.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Blue Jays RHP Jose Berrios undergoes Tommy John surgery
Feb 28, 2026; Tampa, Florida, USA; Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Jose Berrios (17) throws a pitch against the New York Yankees in the second inning during spring training at George M. Steinbrenner Field. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images Toronto Blue Jays right-hander Jose Berrios will miss at least another year of action after undergoing Tommy John surgery on Wednesday.
Dr. Keith Meister performed the procedure in Texas, beginning with the hope that only a minor removal of “loose bodies” in the elbow would be required. However, the ultimate diagnosis was that a full elbow ligament reconstruction was required.
“The bone in the elbow was on the ligament. Not ideal,” Toronto manager John Schneider said. “We kind of decided that, when they go in there, if that’s compromised at all, we’ll fix it. It was. He’ll be down for 12 to 14 months.”
Berrios has been on the injured list all season while trying to work his way back from the elbow ailment that kept him off the team’s postseason roster last fall. He made four minor league rehab appearances in the past month, going 0-1 with a 10.67 ERA in Class-A and Triple-A. Most recently, his fastball velocity was lower than normal for Triple-A Buffalo.
The 31-year-old veteran had been an ever-present part of the Toronto rotation since the Blue Jays acquired him from the Minnesota Twins in a July 2021 trade. He made at least 30 starts in each of the past five seasons, though he was briefly moved to the bullpen last September before landing on the injured list.
“It’s weird not having him,” Schneider said. “We were looking for him to get back to normal, and he was hoping for that, too. It’s definitely weird and frustrating for him, too.”
Last year, Berrios went 9-5 with a 4.17 ERA in 31 games (30 starts).
A two-time All-Star, Berrios has a career 108-82 record and a 4.08 ERA in 275 games, including 273 starts, for Minnesota (2016-21) and Toronto (2021-25).
He has two years and $48 million remaining on the seven-year, $131 million extension he signed with the Blue Jays in November 2021.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Blue Jays RHP Jose Berrios undergoes Tommy John surgery
Feb 28, 2026; Tampa, Florida, USA; Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Jose Berrios (17) throws a pitch against the New York Yankees in the second inning during spring training at George M. Steinbrenner Field. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images Toronto Blue Jays right-hander Jose Berrios will miss at least another year of action after undergoing Tommy John surgery on Wednesday.
Dr. Keith Meister performed the procedure in Texas, beginning with the hope that only a minor removal of “loose bodies” in the elbow would be required. However, the ultimate diagnosis was that a full elbow ligament reconstruction was required.
“The bone in the elbow was on the ligament. Not ideal,” Toronto manager John Schneider said. “We kind of decided that, when they go in there, if that’s compromised at all, we’ll fix it. It was. He’ll be down for 12 to 14 months.”
Berrios has been on the injured list all season while trying to work his way back from the elbow ailment that kept him off the team’s postseason roster last fall. He made four minor league rehab appearances in the past month, going 0-1 with a 10.67 ERA in Class-A and Triple-A. Most recently, his fastball velocity was lower than normal for Triple-A Buffalo.
The 31-year-old veteran had been an ever-present part of the Toronto rotation since the Blue Jays acquired him from the Minnesota Twins in a July 2021 trade. He made at least 30 starts in each of the past five seasons, though he was briefly moved to the bullpen last September before landing on the injured list.
“It’s weird not having him,” Schneider said. “We were looking for him to get back to normal, and he was hoping for that, too. It’s definitely weird and frustrating for him, too.”
Last year, Berrios went 9-5 with a 4.17 ERA in 31 games (30 starts).
A two-time All-Star, Berrios has a career 108-82 record and a 4.08 ERA in 275 games, including 273 starts, for Minnesota (2016-21) and Toronto (2021-25).
He has two years and $48 million remaining on the seven-year, $131 million extension he signed with the Blue Jays in November 2021.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Fever guard Caitlin Clark (back) sits out vs. Fire
Indiana Fever guard Caitlin Clark (22) during the first half of an WNBA basketball game against the Seattle Storm, Sunday, May 17, 2026, at Gainbridge Fieldhouse. Fever star guard Caitlin Clark sat out Indiana’s home game against the Portland Fire with a back injury on Wednesday in Indianapolis.
Clark was not on the team injury report the day before the game. Fever coach Stephanie White said Clark was a bit stiff and sore when she woke up Wednesday morning after skipping Tuesday’s practice in favor of getting treatment.
White added she doesn’t believe this is something that would be an extended or ongoing issue for Clark, who did leave the Fever’s season opener on May 9 a few times to get her back adjusted.
“It’s not the time to take a chance,” White said. “We just really want to be cautious, you know.
” … She’s healthy. We’re not managing anything. This is just a back issue that we want to make sure we give the time to be ready.”
In Clark’s absence, Indiana prevailed 90-73 behind 24 points from Aliyah Boston and 21 points from Kelsey Mitchell.
Clark, 24, is averaging a team-high 24.3 points along with 9.0 assists and 5.0 rebounds in four games this season. The 2024 No. 1 overall pick and two-time All-Star was limited to just 13 games last season, missing time due to quad, groin and ankle injuries.
–Field Level Media
