Connect with us

Sports

Reports: Brewers extend manager Pat Murphy through at least '28

Syndication: Journal SentinelMilwaukee Brewers manager Pat Murphy talks with players during spring training workouts Tuesday, February 17, 2026, at American Family Fields of Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona.

The Milwaukee Brewers signed accomplished manager Pat Murphy to a three-year contract extension, multiple media outlets reported Thursday.

The agreement, which reworks the final year of Murphy’s previous contract, spans the 2026 through 2028 seasons and includes a club option for 2029, according to The Athletic.

Murphy, 67, steered Milwaukee to a cumulative 190-134 record and consecutive National League Central titles over the past two seasons. He was honored at the conclusion of both as NL Manager of the Year.

The Brewers eliminated the Chicago Cubs from the 2025 NL Division Series in five games, then were swept in the NL Championship Series by the Los Angeles Dodgers, the eventual World Series champions.

An organizational fixture, Murphy joined the Brewers in 2016 as bench coach for Craig Counsell, whom he replaced as manager following the 2023 season. Milwaukee has qualified for seven postseasons over his decade with the club.

Murphy previously managed the San Diego Padres to a 42-54 record as an interim replacement for Bud Black in 2015. He coached in the Padres’ minor league system following long stints as a college head coach at Arizona State (1995-2009) and Notre Dame (1988-94).

He also managed the Netherlands national team at certain major tournaments, including the 1987 European Baseball Championship and the 2000 Summer Olympics.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Super Bowl LX ratings given late boost, still shy of record

NFL: Super Bowl LX-Levi's Stadium ViewsFeb 4, 2026; Santa Clara, CA, USA; NBC Peacock television camera with Super Bowl LX logo at Levi’s Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Nielsen adjusted the ratings for Super Bowl LX, bumping the final viewership numbers to 125.6 million.

The Seattle Seahawks’ victory over the New England Patriots was originally reported to have averaged 124.9 million viewers across NBC, Peacock, Telemundo and other digital platforms. Nielsen said the update was to due a Big Data provider not properly collecting data from its devices on game day.

The new figure still makes Super Bowl LX the second-most watched in history, trailing the record 127.7 million who watched last year’s Super Bowl. However, the Feb. 8 game, won 29-13 by Seattle, was the most-watched show in NBC history and drew a combined average household rating of 39.7.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

All-Star events draw biggest audience in 24 years

NBA: 75th All Star GameFeb 15, 2026; Inglewood, California, USA; Team USA Stars guard Anthony Edwards (5) of the Minnesota Timberwolves celebrates with the MVP trophy after the championship game during the 75th NBA All Star Game at Intuit Dome. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images

The NBA’s All-Star festivities drew their largest viewing audience in nearly a quarter-century last weekend, the league announced Thursday.

The league said 46 million people in the United States watched All-Star weekend across the NBC platforms and ESPN, the most since 2011 and more than triple last season.

Capped off by Sunday’s reformatted USA vs. World mini-tournament of four 12-minute games, the weekend also featured Friday’s celebrity game and Rising Stars event and Saturday’s 3-Point Contest, Shooting Stars and Slam Dunk Contest.

Minnesota Timberwolves guard Anthony Edwards was named MVP of Sunday’s 75th NBA All-Star Game at the Intuit Dome in Inglewood, Calif. Edwards led the USA Stars to a 47-21 win against USA Stripes in the final.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Prez Charlie Baker still wants to ad at-large bids to NCAA Tournament

NCAA Womens Basketball: Final Four National Championship-Iowa vs South CarolinaNCAA president Charlie Baker still envisions an expanded NCAA Tournament field. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

NCAA president Charlie Baker rolled out the red carpet ahead of the Selection Committee exercise to set the top 16 seeds in the men’s tournament field this weekend and couldn’t help but dream of a bigger dance.

Baker and members of the Selection Committee are running their annual bracket stacking drill to be released Saturday with the public finding out where the NCAA sees the top 16 seeds in the tournament at this stage of the season.

The field will not increase in size in March. The men’s and women’s tournament field remains at 68 for 2026. But 2027 could bring a boost in field size to 72 or more, Baker has said.

“I think there’s some very good reasons to expand the tournament, so I would like to see it expand,” Baker said on Thursday in a session with select media, as detailed by tournament TV partner CBS, a network making headlines about coverage — and non-coverage — of news events and interviews. “You have to remember that some of the folks we’re talking to are going through some pretty interesting corporate conversations of their own. And I think for us, we accept and acknowledge that, but we’re still talking.”

Debate remains around how to structure a bracket growing by as many as eight spots. Baker said the number of at-large bids awarded — currently 36 — is not enough. But he doesn’t want to fiddle with the 32 at-large bids going to conference and conference tournament champions to satisfy the “bubble” teams that might be labeled the “last four out” on Selection Sunday.

“It puts some other really good teams that probably might belong there,” Baker said of the push to increase at-large bids. “But it also protects the AQs, right? Because I don’t want to end up in a situation where people say we need to do something about the AQs because we’re keeping too many good teams out of the tournament.”

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading