Connect with us

Sports

Poll: Winter Olympics draw interest from 40% of 'non-sports' fans

Olympics: Opening CeremonyFeb 6, 2026; Milan, ITALY; Dancers perform during the Olympic rings segment during the Opening Ceremony for the Milano Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games at Milano San Siro Olympic Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Amber Searls-Imagn Images

The Winter Games draw interest from 40% of people who consider themselves “non-sports” fans while also serving to create new sports fans overall, according to a poll conducted by Edison Research.

The SSRS Sports Poll has captured interest in the Olympics compared to other professional and collegiate sports leagues among United States audiences for the past 30 years. The results based on polling throughout 2025 show that the Winter Games generate interest from a wider range of people while also serving as an “important factor to becoming a sports fan in the first place.”

According to the poll, along with 40% of those who consider themselves non-sports fans, the Winter Olympics have drawn interest from more than 60% of “light” sports fans. That is well ahead of other sports including the NFL at around 50% and MLB at 40%, followed by the NBA, college football, college basketball and the NHL.

In 2021, the SSRS Opinion Panel found that 68% of Americans aged 12+ said the Olympics played an important role in them first becoming sports fans in general.

SSRS acquired Edison in October 2025.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Eagles RT Lane Johnson returning for 2026 season

NFL: Philadelphia Eagles at Kansas City ChiefsSep 14, 2025; Kansas City, Missouri, USA; Philadelphia Eagles offensive tackle Lane Johnson (65) reacts during the second half against the Kansas City Chiefs at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jay Biggerstaff-Imagn Images

Philadelphia Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson is returning for his 14th NFL season.

Johnson, 35, told the Philadelphia Inquirer of his intentions on Thursday. The two-time first-team All-Pro reportedly was mulling retirement following a 2025 season that saw him sit out the final seven games of the regular season and the team’s NFC wild-card loss to the San Francisco 49ers due to a Lisfranc injury.

Johnson, on Thursday, took to social media to post a picture of himself running on the field in an Eagles uniform.

Johnson is returning to a Philadelphia offense that is in the midst of transition with the departure of offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland. Offensive coordinator Sean Mannion, pass game coordinator Josh Grizzard and run game coordinator Ryan Mahaffey are new faces on Nick Sirianni’s coaching staff.

The 2025 season was a painful one for the two-time Super Bowl champion and six-time Pro Bowl selection. He previously dealt with neck, shoulder and ankle injuries but started all 10 games in which he played.

Johnson has started 168 regular-season games and 15 playoff contests since Philadelphia drafted him with the No. 4 overall pick in 2013.

–Field Level Media


source

Continue Reading

Sports

Orlando City extend M Eduard Atuesta through 2028-29

MLS: Orlando City at D.C. UnitedSep 13, 2025; Washington, District of Columbia, USA; Orlando City midfielder Eduard Atuesta (20) takes a shot during the second half against D.C. United at Audi Field. Mandatory Credit: Daniel Kucin Jr.-Imagn Images

Orlando City signed midfielder Eduard Atuesta to a new contract through 2028-29 with an option for 2029-30 on Thursday.

The 28-year-old Colombian international recorded seven assists in 28 regular season matches (25 starts) during his first season with the Lions in 2025.

“This is an important move for our club as we continue shaping a squad built for sustained success,” general manager and sporting director Ricardo Moreira said.

“Eduard brings a level of intelligence, composure and leadership that defines how we want to play. His professionalism and influence on the group, both tactically and in the locker room, have been exceptional. We’re proud of the impact he’s made here in Orlando, and we look forward to him continuing to anchor our midfield for years to come.”

Atuesta has recorded 11 goals and 36 assists in 152 career MLS matches (134 starts) with Los Angeles FC (2018-21, 2024) and Orlando City. He made the MLS Best XI in 2019 and was an MLS All-Star in 2021 and won a Supporters’ Shield (2019) and U.S. Open Cup (2024) with LAFC.

Orlando opens the 2026 MLS regular season at home Saturday night against Red Bull New York.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Guardians pitchers plead not guilty in pitch-rigging case

MLB: Baltimore Orioles at Cleveland GuardiansJul 22, 2025; Cleveland, Ohio, USA; Cleveland Guardians relief pitcher Emmanuel Clase (48) reacts after a win over the Baltimore Orioles at Progressive Field. Mandatory Credit: David Richard-Imagn Images

A scheduled spring trial for Cleveland Guardians pitchers Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz accused of colluding with sports bettors on an alleged pitch-rigging scheme likely will be postponed until October.

U.S. District Court Judge Kiyo A. Matsumoto said she ultimately will move the trial to the fall after Clase and Ortiz pleaded not guilty through a translator to a rewritten indictment on Wednesday in a Brooklyn federal court.

The parties were instructed to discuss a new trial date and submit their proposal by end of day Monday.

As it stands, the trial date remains slated for May 4.

The rewritten indictment accused Clase of using code words related to roosters and chickens when dealing with co-conspirators. It also alleged that Clase rigged a pitch to the first batter he faced — Detroit’s Matt Vierling — in Game 1 of the 2024 American League Division Series. He bounced that pitch before striking out Vierling.

Clase and Ortiz, who are free on bail, were indicted on charges including wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and conspiracy to influence sporting contests by bribery on Nov. 9.

Ortiz pled not guilty the next day while Clase was taken into custody Nov. 13 at JFK Airport in New York, pleading not guilty that same day.

The prosecution alleged that Clase and Ortiz accepted thousands of dollars in bribes to help a pair of gamblers in their native country of the Dominican Republic win at least $460,000 placed on the speed of their pitches and whether they will be strikes or balls.

Clase, 27, is a two-time AL Reliever of the Year and a three-time All-Star. He has 21-26 record with a 1.88 ERA and 182 saves over six seasons, the last five of which came while pitching for the Guardians.

Ortiz, 27, was traded to Cleveland ahead of the 2025 season. He has a 4.05 ERA over 75 appearances (50 starts) spanning four major league seasons.

Both pitchers have been on non-disciplinary paid leave since July.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading