Connect with us

Sports

Lottie Woad wins 2nd LPGA title in 10 months as a pro at Queen City

Syndication: The EnquirerLottie Woad, of Farnham, England, holds the trophy after winning the LPGA Kroger Queen City Championship fourth round at Maketewan Country Club in Cincinnati on Sunday, May 17, 2026.

Lottie Woad blew the three-stroke lead she began the day with but rallied with a 1-under 69 in the final round to win the Kroger Queen City Championship on Sunday in Cincinnati.

The Englishwoman, buoyed by her 11-under combined showing in the second and third rounds, finished with a 12-under-par 268, two strokes clear of South Korea’s Haeran Ryu at 10 under.

For Woad, a 22-year-old who turned pro last July, it was her second victory in her 10 months as a professional.

“Obviously very, very happy and grateful that it is (reality),” Woad said when asked to reflect on her last 12 months, with her playing collegiately at Florida State this time last year. “This one is definitely, I think, a little sweeter than the first one because I wasn’t really expecting that. This one I’ve seen how good everyone is out there, so it’s good to win again.”

Woad began the day with a three-stroke lead over Amanda Doherty. She lost her lead with a 1-under front nine paired with Ryu shooting 5 under over the first nine holes.

But Ryu bogeyed the par-4 10th and then posted a double bogey at the par-4 13th, which gave Woad the lead back for good.

It was the sixth top-10 finish in 10 events this season for Ryu, who is still searching for her first 2026 win.

After Woad had a double bogey of her own at No. 6, she finished with two birdies, one bogey and a streak of pars in her final 12 holes.

“I think I just played pretty good tee-to-green. I hit a lot of greens, hit a lot of fairways,” Woad said. “And it’s pretty windy out there, so I think that was the key obviously to having the lead.”

Japan’s Miyu Yamashita (64) had the low round of the day to surge into solo third place at 9-under. She was 2 under on the front nine thanks to an eagle at the par-5 seventh hole and then finished remarkably well with four consecutive birdies at Nos.14-17.

“The course was really tough and the greens were especially difficult, but I’m happy I was able to put together a good score on the final day,” Yamashita said through a translator.

She added: “Really good to see my finish position become more consistent, and I want to keep doing the same moving forward.”

Ruoning Yin (66) of China finished in fourth place at 8 under. Doherty shot 1 over to fall into a tie for fifth with South Korea’s Jim Young Koo (65) at 7 under.

World No. 1 Nelly Korda (67) saw her streak of back-to-back victories snapped, but back-doored a top-10 finish with a tie for eighth at 5 under.

World No. 2 Jeeno Thitikul of Thailand was the only player to shoot below par in all four rounds, posting a 1-under score Sunday to finish in solo seventh at 6 under.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Edgar Quero's game-winning homer lifts White Sox over Cubs

MLB: Chicago Cubs at Chicago White SoxMay 17, 2026; Chicago, Illinois, USA; Chicago White Sox catcher Edgar Quero (26) hits a one run single against the Chicago Cubs during the second inning at Rate Field. Mandatory Credit: David Banks-Imagn Images

Edgar Quero smacked a game-ending two-run home run in the 10th inning and joined Andrew Benintendi with a three-hit game to lift the host Chicago White Sox to a 9-8 victory against the Chicago Cubs on Sunday.

The White Sox finished 7-2 on a nine-game homestand while earning their fifth series victory in the past six. They prevailed after a wild finish in which they outscored the Cubs 5-4 from the eighth inning onward.

Quero and Tristan Peters, who delivered a go-ahead three-run homer in the eighth, both went deep for the first time this season. Quero connected against Cubs reliever Ryan Rolison (3-1).

Closer Seranthony Dominguez couldn’t hold the lead for the South Siders after the Peters homer, yielding a tying three-run blast to Michael Conforto after a walk and third baseman Miguel Vargas’ one-out error.

Alex Bregman had two hits and two RBIs for the Cubs. He drove in a run on a groundout in the top of the 10th. Conforto also had two hits.

The Cubs took a 3-0 lead in the top of the first. Michael Busch opened the scoring two batters into the game, reaching White Sox starter Erick Fedde for a two-run home run to right field on a full count.

Fedde has yielded a home run in four consecutive starts and seven of nine appearances overall. He later uncorked a wild pitch that allowed Bregman to score.

Quero delivered an RBI single in the second to put the White Sox on the board. After Bregman’s run-scoring single in the fourth restored a three-run advantage for the Cubs, the White Sox responded with Benintendi’s RBI double in the bottom half.

Vargas tied the game with a two-run double with two out in the fifth, sending a ball the opposite way to the gap in right center.

Both starters took no-decisions. Fedde, who pitched with a blister issue on his right throwing hand for much of the afternoon, spaced four runs and six hits with four walks and two strikeouts over three innings.

Rea scattered four runs and six hits over 4 2/3 innings. He walked one and struck out four.

Tyler Davis (2-1) was the winner, allowing an unearned run in the 10th while working around three walks.

A crowd of 38,608 attended the game, the third sellout in as many contests in the crosstown series.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Top Mariners prospect Colt Emerson recalled from Tacoma

MLB: Spring Training-Seattle Mariners at Los Angeles DodgersFeb 23, 2026; Phoenix, Arizona, USA; Seattle Mariners shortstop Colt Emerson against the Los Angeles Dodgers during a spring training game at Camelback Ranch-Glendale. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-Imagn Images

The Seattle Mariners recalled top prospect infielder Colt Emerson prior to Sunday’s game against the San Diego Padres.

Seattle placed infielder/outfielder Brendan Donovan (groin) on the 10-day injured list to open up a roster spot. The IL move is retroactive to May 16.

Emerson, 20, is set to make his major league debut. He is in the lineup at third base and batting ninth against the Padres.

Emerson is rated as Seattle’s No. 1 prospect and the sixth overall in the majors by MLB Pipeline.

According to the Mariners, Emerson (20 years, 301 days) will be the youngest player to make his Seattle debut since right-hander Felix Hernandez (19 years, 118 days) on Aug. 4, 2005.

Emerson is the second-youngest player to debut in the majors this season behind Pittsburgh Pirates shortstop Konnor Griffin (age 19).

The left-handed-hitting Emerson is batting .255 with seven homers and 26 RBIs in 38 games at Triple-A Tacoma this season. He was a first-round pick (22nd overall) in the 2023 draft.

On March 31, Emerson signed an eight-year, $95 million deal with the Mariners through the 2033 season with a club option for 2034.

Donovan, 29, is batting .274 with three homers and eight RBIs in 25 games this season. He was acquired from the St. Louis Cardinals in the offseason.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Astros 2B Jose Altuve placed on IL with Grade 2 left oblique strain

MLB: Seattle Mariners at Houston AstrosMay 12, 2026; Houston, Texas, USA; Houston Astros second baseman Jose Altuve (27) reacts after batting during the eighth inning against the Seattle Mariners at Daikin Park. Mandatory Credit: Troy Taormina-Imagn Images

Astros second baseman Jose Altuve will go on the injured list after exiting Saturday’s game with a Grade 2 left oblique strain, Houston manager Joe Espada told reporters Sunday.

Altuve underwent an MRI exam Sunday morning after he was removed ahead of the ninth inning. During his eighth-inning at-bat, he grimaced after connecting on a grounder to third and did not run out the play, instead walking back to the dugout in pain.

Espada did not share an idea of a timeline for how long Altuve could be sidelined.

“Obviously just not what we wanted to hear,” Espada said. “But we find ourselves having to fight through this one here. So these young players are going to continue to get opportunities.”

The Astros are already without third baseman Carlos Correa, who had season-ending ankle surgery, and Jeremy Pena, who has been sidelined since April 11 with a hamstring strain but could return as soon as Monday in Minnesota.

Altuve, 36, is hitting .245 with four homers and 12 RBIs in 42 games this season. The nine-time All-Star has played his entire 16-year career with Houston, posting a career .302 average with 259 homers and 901 RBIs.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading