Connect with us

Sports

Coco Gauff speaks out, doesn't 'like what's going on' in U.S.

Tennis: Australian OpenJan 27, 2026; Melbourne, Victoria, Australia; Coco Gauff of United States in action against Elina Svitolina of Ukraine in the quarterfinals of the women’s singles at the Australian Open at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne Park. Mandatory Credit: Mike Frey-Imagn Images

Coco Gauff said at a press conference Sunday at the Dubai Tennis Championships that she’s “proud to be an American” while also denouncing the killings of Renee Good and Alex Pretti in Minneapolis last month.

“Everything going on in the U.S. — obviously I’m not really for it. I don’t think people should be dying in the streets just for existing. I don’t like what’s going on,” Gauff said.

Gauff, 21, a two-time Grand Slam champion, is the latest in a growing list of American athletes who have voiced their displeasure with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, who were responsible for the deaths of Good and Pretti.

Winter Olympian Hunter Hess told reporters on Feb. 6, “Just because I’m wearing the flag doesn’t mean I represent everything that’s going on in the U.S.” That drew a reaction from President Donald Trump, who called Hess a “real Loser” on his Truth Social platform.

Madison Keys, who is ranked No. 17 on the WTA circuit and fourth among American women, also weighed in on the subject.

“I am hopeful that we as a country can come together and get back to the values that I think make our country great,” Keys said. “We are very diverse. We are a home of immigrants. and I hope that we can get back to those values.”

On the men’s side, top-ranked American player Taylor Fritz opted out of the topic.

“I feel like whatever I say here is going to get put in a headline, and it’s going to get taken out of context,” he said. “So, I’d really rather not do something that’s going to cause a big distraction for me in the middle of the tournament.”

Gauff, whose grandmother was the first Black student to attend public school in Delray Beach, Fla., in 1961, said players have the “right” not to comment on politics, but she will continue to answer questions on the subject.

“I think the biggest thing I hate is when people say stay out of it when we’re being asked it,” she said. “If you ask me, I’m going to give you my honest answer. For me, that’s my honest answer. I always try to always answer honestly. I have no problems. I lived this. My grandma is literally an activist. This is literally my life. I’m OK answering tough questions.”

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Panthers sign LS JJ Jansen for 18th season

NFL: Carolina Panthers Training CampAug 2, 2025; Charlottle, NC, USA; Carolina Panthers long snapper JJ Jansen (44) during Fanfest at Bank of America Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jim Dedmon-Imagn Images

Carolina Panthers long snapper JJ Jansen will return to the team for an 18th season after signing a one-year contract on Tuesday.

Financial terms were not disclosed for the 40-year-old Jansen, who has played in a franchise-record 277 games since 2009. A distant second on the list is kicker John Kasay, who made 221 regular-season appearances with the Panthers (1995-2010).

“He’s everlasting,” special teams coach Tracy Smith joked late last season of Jansen. “… He can do this for as long as he wants to. He’s everlasting. There’s no proof that he’s not a robot. Nobody knows that he is not AI. We’re just going to go forward to the end of time, as far as I’m concerned.”

The Panthers acquired Jansen in a 2009 trade with the Packers, though he never played for Green Bay. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2013.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Coco Gauff rallies to reach third round at Dubai

Syndication: The EnquirerCoco Gauff returns a shot in the Cincinnati Open quarterfinal match between Coco Gauff and Jasmine Paolini at the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason, Ohio, on Friday, Aug. 15, 2025. Paolini won 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.

No. 3 seed Coco Gauff rallied from a break down in both sets to defeat Russia’s Anna Kalinskaya 6-4, 6-4 in second-round action Tuesday at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships in the United Arab Emirates.

Gauff overcame 12 double faults and 33 unforced errors in the 92-minute match, saving seven of 11 break points and converting six of her nine break chances.

“It wasn’t the prettiest one, but it was enough for today,” Gauff said. “It was pretty windy. I was just trying to adjust — both of us were struggling with consistency on the court.”

Kalinskaya led 2-0 in the opening set and 3-1 in the second set but was forced to take a medical timeout to treat her left leg in the first set. She finished with 45 unforced errors to only 11 winners.

Gauff called the victory a “confidence boost” heading into her third-round match with Belgium’s Elise Mertens, who posted a 6-2, 6-2 win against No. 14 seed Emma Navarro. Gauff is 4-0 head-to-head against Mertens.

“Just trying to find form again, which is tough,” Gauff said. “Obviously, Anna’s a tough opponent. She’s beaten some quality players, she beat me here a couple of years ago. I’m happy with how today went. Winning when you’re not playing your best is what I’m most proud of.”

No. 1 seed Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan only needed 60 minutes to complete a 6-1, 6-2 victory against Australia’s Kimberly Birrell. Rybakina struck six aces and saved all three break points. Her opponent in the Round of 16 will be Croatia’s Antonia Ruzic, who outlasted Russia’s Anastasia Zakharova 6-1, 6-7 (2), 6-1.

No. 4 Jessica Pegula swept the last nine games in a 6-4, 6-0 win against France’s Varvara Gracheva. Up next is fellow American and No. 16 seed Iva Jovic, a 6-4, 1-6, 6-0 winner against Russia’s Diana Shnaider.

“I was serving really well, hitting all my spots,” Pegula said. “I was doing a good job of getting ahead in the service games. I felt like I had a little bit of a window, mixing up my spots and kind of going for some bigger serves and maybe getting a couple of aces here and there.”

In other second-round action, No. 5 seed Mirra Andreeva of Russia received a walkover win against Daria Kasatkina of Australia. No. 9 Belinda Bencic of Switzerland was also a walkover winner against Czech Sara Bejlek, while No. 7 Elina Svitolina won the first set 6-4 before Spain’s Paula Badosa retired.

Romania’s Sorana Cirstea defeated No. 10 Linda Noskova of the Czech Republic 6-1, 6-4; Poland’s Magda Linette took down No. 8 Ekaterina Alexandrova of Russia 6-2, 4-6, 6-1; and No. 12 Clara Tauson of Denmark eliminated Peyton Stearns 6-2, 6-4.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Toronto FC acquire Colombian F Emilio Aristizabal

MLS: FC Cincinnati at Toronto FCMay 14, 2025; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; The Toronto FC fans show their support during the national anthem before a game against FC Cincinnati at BMO Field. Mandatory Credit: Nick Turchiaro-Imagn Images

Toronto FC acquired forward Emilio Aristizabal on loan Tuesday from Colombian top-flight side Atletico Nacional.

The 20-year-old Colombian international’s loan runs through the 2026 season and includes a purchase option.

Aristizabal, who will occupy U22 Initiative and international roster slots, had 12 goals in 36 matches while on loan at Colombia’s Fortaleza FC in 2025.

“We are thrilled to have Emilio join us in anticipation of the 2026 season,” TFC general manager Jason Hernandez said. “Emilio has established himself as one of Colombia’s top young attacking talents, and we are excited to begin our journey together.

“He is coming off a strong 2025 in his first full senior campaign, delivering an impressive offensive output at just 19 years old, and we look forward to his continued growth at our club.”

Toronto FC will open the 2026 MLS regular season at FC Dallas on Saturday night.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading