Sports
Joe Gibbs Racing files $8M lawsuit against ex-competition director
Oct 25, 2025; Martinsville, Virginia, USA; Joe Gibbs Racing competition director Chris Gabehart before NASCAR Cup Series Xfinity 500 Practice and Qualifying at Martinsville Speedway. Mandatory Credit: Greg Atkins-Imagn Images Joe Gibbs Racing, in a lawsuit filed Thursday in the Western District of North Carolina, accused its former competition director, Chris Gabehart, of sharing confidential information and trade secrets with a competing team.
The suit seeks damages of at least $8 million.
Gabehart put in 13 years at JGR, including a lengthy stint as Denny Hamlin’s crew chief and more recently as the director of competition. His base salary last year was $1 million before bonuses, per motorsport.com.
His departure was announced late last year, with JGR accusing Gabehart of scheming to use its information to aid Spire Motorsports, which was offering him the job of chief motorsports officer.
According to motorsport.com, a JGR investigation found that Gabehart set up a folder on his computer, shared to his personal cloud storage, that listed team details including salaries and performance reviews of drivers, crew chiefs and pit crews.
JGR alleges that Gabehart looked at those files in the midst of finalizing his departure from the team on the same day he had a meeting with Spire co-owner Jeff Dickerson.
According to the lawsuit, “Until November 10, 2025, Defendant served as one of JGR’s most senior leaders with respect to all competitive aspects of the business. After his demands for additional authority were rebuffed by JGR’s owner, Defendant immediately embarked on a brazen scheme to steal JGR’s most sensitive information and use it for the benefit of a direct competitor in NASCAR — Spire Motorsports.”
The suit states that Gabehart met with JGR owner Joe Gibbs on Nov. 6, with the former NFL coach refusing to “give Defendant carte blanche authority over all racing decisions.”
The sides subsequently began discussing separation terms, with JGR maintaining, “Under those terms, Defendant would have been permitted to work for another NASCAR team, provided that he agreed not to solicit key employees and contractors and that he cooperated in returning JGR equipment and information.”
However, JGR alleges that Gabehart, “using his personal cell phone, took at least twenty photos of his laptop screen” that contained confidential information, adding, “Defendant accessed and interacted with the Spire Folder on November 12, 13, 15, 23, 25, 26, 27, and December 2 of 2025 — the same day he met with Jeff Dickerson.”
–Field Level Media
Sports
ESPN replacing 'Sunday Night Baseball' with WNBA, NWSL games
Jul 18, 2025; Indianapolis, IN, USA; New York Liberty guard Sabrina Ionescu is interviewed by ESPN reporter Holly Rowe after winning the three-point contest during the 2025 WNBA All Star Skills Challenge at Gainbridge Fieldhouse. Mandatory Credit: Trevor Ruszkowski-Imagn Images With “Sunday Night Baseball” moving to NBC this season, ESPN revealed Thursday it has elected to fill its premium Sunday slot with WNBA and NWSL games and ancillary coverage.
“Women’s Sports Sundays” will debut in prime time this summer. ESPN said 12 live games and accompanying studio segments will air over nine weeks.
“Sunday Night Baseball” was a staple on ESPN for 36 years, but the network and MLB terminated their agreement three years before it was scheduled to end. NBC has committed to airing “Sunday Night Baseball” through at least 2028.
ESPN, meanwhile, believes it is catching two leagues on the rise.
“Women’s sports are experiencing continued momentum, and ‘Women’s Sports Sundays’ is ESPN’s next step in meeting that demand,” Rosalyn Durant, ESPN’s executive vice president of programming and acquisitions, said in a statement.
“This franchise is about more than showcasing games — it’s about building a consistent, high-profile destination that reflects the passion, excellence and cultural impact of women’s sports today, while giving athletes and leagues the stage they deserve.”
Details about matchups and broadcast personnel will be announced at a later date.
More women’s sports properties, including college basketball, could be added to the Sunday night slate in future seasons, according to Front Office Sports.
The NWSL season starts March 13 and continues into November. The league expanded to 16 teams with the additions of Boston Legacy and Denver Summit.
WNBA training camps are scheduled to open April 19 ahead of tip-off on May 8, but a labor impasse threatens to delay the start of the season. The collective bargaining agreement with the Women’s National Basketball Players Association expired in January and negotiations about revenue sharing and salary structure have barely progressed.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Timberwolves eager to reclaim momentum against ailing Mavs
Feb 11, 2026; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Minnesota Timberwolves forward Julius Randle (30) celebrates making a shot with guard Anthony Edwards (5) against the Portland Trail Blazers in the second half at Target Center. Mandatory Credit: Jesse Johnson-Imagn Images Anthony Edwards is excited to bring his NBA All-Star Game MVP trophy back to Minnesota.
Timberwolves fans welcome Edwards and his teammates back when they tip off against the Dallas Mavericks on Friday night in Minneapolis. It is the first game since the All-Star break for both teams, who appear headed in different directions as the postseason approaches.
Edwards hopes that more trophies will follow, especially team trophies.
“It means a lot,” Edwards said. “I love Minnesota, and I know Minnesota loves me. I said I wasn’t going to put on a show for them, but I gave them a show. Appreciate y’all, Minnesota.”
Minnesota won two consecutive games before the break and holds the sixth spot in the Western Conference standings. Before NBA action resumed Thursday night, only 1 1/2 games separated the Timberwolves from the third-place Denver Nuggets in the playoff race.
The Timberwolves brought back a familiar face to add bench depth as they look to improve their playoff seed. They re-signed veteran guard Mike Conley during the break and he rejoined the team for practice Thursday.
Conley averaged 4.4 points and 2.9 assists in 44 games (nine starts) with Minnesota earlier this season. The Timberwolves traded him on Feb. 3 to the Chicago Bulls, who subsequently flipped Conley to the Charlotte Hornets. He didn’t play for either team.
The Hornets bought out Conley’s contract, which cleared the way for Minnesota to bring him back.
Timberwolves coach Chris Finch said he would be open-minded about when and how to reinsert Conley into the team’s rotation. Ayo Dosunmu, acquired in that Feb. 3 deal with the Bulls, has averaged 14.7 points and 28.0 minutes since his arrival and has forged chemistry with Bones Hyland.
“I think everything is on the table right now,” Finch said. “We’ve got some things to work through. Those two guys, Ayo and Bones, have been great, no doubt about it. They’re a nice little combination, too. We’ve just got to take it day by day. … We don’t have anything pre-scripted.”
As the Timberwolves look to build momentum after the break, the Mavericks are focused on how best to position themselves for next season and beyond.
Dallas arrives in Minnesota on a nine-game losing streak and, hypothetically, eager for its first victory since Jan. 22.
Impact rookie Cooper Flagg has provided a bright spot for the Mavericks by averaging 20.4 points, 6.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game in 49 starts. But a foot sprain forced Flagg to miss the league’s All-Star activities, and he will not play Friday against the Timberwolves.
Dallas also will miss Kyrie Irving, who was ruled out of the remainder of the season this week as he recovers from a torn ACL.
“This decision wasn’t easy, but it’s the right one,” Irving said in a statement posted on the team’s website. “I am looking forward to coming back stronger next season. The belief and drive I have inside only grows.”
This is the third of four meetings between the teams this season. Minnesota won each of the first two matchups by scores of 120-96 on Nov. 17 and 118-105 on Jan. 28.
–Field Level Medi
Sports
JJ Redick expects Lakers to have Luka Doncic, others back vs. Clippers
Jan 6, 2026; New Orleans, Louisiana, USA; Los Angeles Lakers forward/guard Luka Doncic (77) talks to Head Coach JJ Redick against the New Orleans Pelicans during the second half at Smoothie King Center. Mandatory Credit: Stephen Lew-Imagn Images When the Los Angeles Lakers return from the All-Star break on Friday, they expect to have their full complement of players for a change.
Head coach JJ Redick said Thursday all players would be available for the Lakers’ contest against the rival Clippers, including Luka Doncic.
The NBA scoring leader (32.8 points per game) sat out four games before the break due to a mild hamstring strain. And starting center Deandre Ayton missed the last two games with a sore right knee.
Redick said Austin Reaves’ minutes restriction would be lifted. Reaves (calf) returned from a five-week absence Feb. 3 and played between 20 and 29 minutes in his first five games back.
An official injury report for the game was not available as of 4 p.m. PT.
The trio of LeBron James, Doncic and Reaves has played together just 10 times so far for the Lakers (33-21), who are fifth in the Western Conference ahead of the stretch run. Each has dealt with injury concerns throughout the season.
Doncic has played 42 games and averaged 8.6 assists and 7.8 rebounds to go with his NBA-best scoring. Reaves has only played 28 games and is second on the team with 25.4 points per game as well as 6.0 assists and 5.0 rebounds.
James, who missed the start of the season while dealing with sciatica in his right side, has played 36 games and averaged 22.0 points, 7.1 assists and 5.8 rebounds.
In his first season in Los Angeles, Ayton has put up 13.2 points and a team-high 8.5 rebounds per game in 46 appearances.
–Field Level Media
