Connect with us

Sports

O's INF Jordan Westburg physically 'unable to participate'

MLB: Baltimore Orioles at New York YankeesSep 28, 2025; Bronx, New York, USA; Baltimore Orioles third baseman Jordan Westburg (11) hits a solo home run against the New York Yankees during the fourth inning at Yankee Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John Jones-Imagn Images

Baltimore Orioles infielder Jordan Westburg was not on the field with the team for a spring training workout on Thursday, and manager Craig Albernaz doesn’t know when his status will change.

“He’s unable to participate right now,” the first-year manager said Thursday. “Getting evaluated by our medical team and also outside people. See what’s going on with Jordan and get him ready to go.”

Westburg, 27, felt his oblique tighten on the right side early in spring training. Albernaz did not specifically point to the muscle injury as the reason for his absence and wouldn’t say if he had a different injury.

Orioles president of baseball operations Mike Elias said earlier this month that Westburg’s oblique injury dates to January.

The Baltimore Banner reported Thursday, however, that Westburg had imaging done on his elbow.

“Just physically unable to go,” Albernaz said. “We want to make sure we do our due diligence. Make sure Jordan has the best chance to play this year.”

Injuries have been a hindrance in Westburg’s three seasons in Baltimore, which drafted him 30th overall in 2020 out of Mississippi State.

He played 85 games last season and required injured list stints due to a left hamstring injury and a sprained ankle. He also missed parts of 2025 spring training with back tightness. He played 107 games in 2024 and was named an All-Star, but also missed seven weeks with a fractured hand.

In 260 career games, Westburg has a .264 batting average with 38 home runs and 127 RBIs.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Orlando City extend M Eduard Atuesta through 2028-29

MLS: Orlando City at D.C. UnitedSep 13, 2025; Washington, District of Columbia, USA; Orlando City midfielder Eduard Atuesta (20) takes a shot during the second half against D.C. United at Audi Field. Mandatory Credit: Daniel Kucin Jr.-Imagn Images

Orlando City signed midfielder Eduard Atuesta to a new contract through 2028-29 with an option for 2029-30 on Thursday.

The 28-year-old Colombian international recorded seven assists in 28 regular season matches (25 starts) during his first season with the Lions in 2025.

“This is an important move for our club as we continue shaping a squad built for sustained success,” general manager and sporting director Ricardo Moreira said.

“Eduard brings a level of intelligence, composure and leadership that defines how we want to play. His professionalism and influence on the group, both tactically and in the locker room, have been exceptional. We’re proud of the impact he’s made here in Orlando, and we look forward to him continuing to anchor our midfield for years to come.”

Atuesta has recorded 11 goals and 36 assists in 152 career MLS matches (134 starts) with Los Angeles FC (2018-21, 2024) and Orlando City. He made the MLS Best XI in 2019 and was an MLS All-Star in 2021 and won a Supporters’ Shield (2019) and U.S. Open Cup (2024) with LAFC.

Orlando opens the 2026 MLS regular season at home Saturday night against Red Bull New York.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Guardians pitchers plead not guilty in pitch-rigging case

MLB: Baltimore Orioles at Cleveland GuardiansJul 22, 2025; Cleveland, Ohio, USA; Cleveland Guardians relief pitcher Emmanuel Clase (48) reacts after a win over the Baltimore Orioles at Progressive Field. Mandatory Credit: David Richard-Imagn Images

A scheduled spring trial for Cleveland Guardians pitchers Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz accused of colluding with sports bettors on an alleged pitch-rigging scheme likely will be postponed until October.

U.S. District Court Judge Kiyo A. Matsumoto said she ultimately will move the trial to the fall after Clase and Ortiz pleaded not guilty through a translator to a rewritten indictment on Wednesday in a Brooklyn federal court.

The parties were instructed to discuss a new trial date and submit their proposal by end of day Monday.

As it stands, the trial date remains slated for May 4.

The rewritten indictment accused Clase of using code words related to roosters and chickens when dealing with co-conspirators. It also alleged that Clase rigged a pitch to the first batter he faced — Detroit’s Matt Vierling — in Game 1 of the 2024 American League Division Series. He bounced that pitch before striking out Vierling.

Clase and Ortiz, who are free on bail, were indicted on charges including wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and conspiracy to influence sporting contests by bribery on Nov. 9.

Ortiz pled not guilty the next day while Clase was taken into custody Nov. 13 at JFK Airport in New York, pleading not guilty that same day.

The prosecution alleged that Clase and Ortiz accepted thousands of dollars in bribes to help a pair of gamblers in their native country of the Dominican Republic win at least $460,000 placed on the speed of their pitches and whether they will be strikes or balls.

Clase, 27, is a two-time AL Reliever of the Year and a three-time All-Star. He has 21-26 record with a 1.88 ERA and 182 saves over six seasons, the last five of which came while pitching for the Guardians.

Ortiz, 27, was traded to Cleveland ahead of the 2025 season. He has a 4.05 ERA over 75 appearances (50 starts) spanning four major league seasons.

Both pitchers have been on non-disciplinary paid leave since July.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Freestyle skiing halfpipe, aerial events postponed at Olympics

Olympics: Ski MountaineeringFeb 19, 2026; Bormio, Italy; Workers clear snow from the course before the women’s ski mountaineering final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games at Stelvio Ski Centre. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images

Freestyle skiing halfpipe and aerial events were postponed at the Winter Olympics on Thursday because of heavy snow in Livigno, Italy.

The men’s aerials qualifiers and final were rescheduled for Friday morning, with the men’s halfpipe qualification beginning about an hour after the aerials conclude.

The aerial finals are scheduled for Saturday night, the final full day of competition at the Milan Cortina Games.

At the biathlon course in Anterselva, both men and women trained simultaneously for the mass start competition with heavy snow expected there later Friday.

“Snow is an occupational hazard of winter sports,” International Olympic Committee spokesperson Mark Adams said at a news conference.

“They are well used to dealing with delays, changes and bad weather … We are used to it, the federations are used to it. It is something we have to work with, unfortunately,” he said.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading