Connect with us

Sports

Emotional Layne Riggs wins Truck Series at Charlotte: 'Did it for Kyle'

NASCAR: Truck Series - PracticeFeb 12, 2026; Daytona Beach, Florida, USA; NASCAR Truck Series driver Layne Riggs (34) during practice for the Fresh from Florida 250 at Daytona International Speedway. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-Imagn Images

CONCORD, N.C. — Layne Riggs made clear what was on his mind as he took the checkered flag under caution to win the North Carolina Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Sunday.

“Did it for Kyle, man, did it for Kyle,” Riggs said in a dedication to two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Busch, who passed away Thursday at age 41 due to complications from pneumonia. It was just nine days ago that Busch won the Trucks Series race in Dover, Del.

In a race thrice delayed by rain from its scheduled Friday night start and run under NASCAR’s adverse conditions provision with a noon time limit, Riggs completed 110 of a scheduled 134 laps before the clock ran out.

He earned his second victory of the season, his first at Charlotte and the seventh of his career in a race that featured a record 11 cautions.

After a celebratory burnout in the tri-oval, Riggs, who led a race-high 52 laps and won the second stage, collected the checkered flag, exited his No. 34 Front Row Motorsports Ford and performed a deep bow to the crowd in the grandstand — emulating Busch’s signature victory move.

Despite the win, however, Riggs’ mood was restrained.

“Our hearts are really heavy this weekend,” he said after giving Ford its first NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series victory on a 1.5-mile intermediate speedway since Ben Rhodes won at Charlotte in 2023. “I’ve been kind of struggling with it a little bit, just trying to keep my game face on and ride. … I was borderline sobbing there at the end.”

“But these guys (the No. 34 team) have put a smile on my face,” he continued. “Great job to everybody at Front Row Motorsports. Thank you so much to my teammate Chandler Smith. We had a little teammate restart there (on Lap 104). He stuck with me and pushed me.

“I’m super proud of him and the performance we had today.”

Ironically, after pushing Riggs to the lead, it was Smith who spun underneath third-place finisher Connor Zilisch off Turn 2 on Lap 106 to cause the final caution and allow Riggs to claim the win under caution after the clock struck noon.

Kaden Honeycutt was second when the yellow slowed the race for the last time, and with the runner-up finish, he retained his series lead by 11 points over Riggs.

“I definitely wanted to be the guy that gave Kyle (Busch) the bow there, because he definitely deserved it,” Honeycutt said. “If I had won, I was planning on giving (Busch’s son) Brexton the flag, because he (Kyle Busch) probably would have laid another butt-whipping on us if he was here.

“Just a bad week for all of us; a tough weekend for the whole community. Hug your loved ones, appreciate them, tell your mom and dad that you love them even if you don’t have a great relationship with them. Life means more than racing, for sure. Second is good, still have a points lead and we will fight in Nashville next week.”

Ben Rhodes ran fourth behind Zilisch, followed by Gio Ruggiero. Stage 1 winner Christian Eckes, Brandon Jones, Tanner Gray, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and William Sawalich completed the top 10.

Corey Day started from the pole in the No. 7 Spire Motorsports Chevrolet Busch had been slated to drive, but Day’s race ended early in a dramatic accident on Lap 47.

Running in the top 10, Day threw a block on the No. 17 Toyota of Ruggiero on the backstretch, but contact from Ruggiero’s truck turned Day’s Silverado sideways and airborne.

Day’s truck completed one full rotation in mid-air before landing upright and colliding with the inside wall near the entrance to Turn 3 with bone-jarring impact.

After leaving the infield care center, Day expressed disappointment at not being able to deliver a good finish in Busch’s honor.

“The 17 got a big run there off of (Turn) 2,” Day said. “He kind of started to shade down, and I shaded with him. He shaded back up, and that was it.

“My spotter didn’t do anything wrong. He told me he was there. I thought I was clear, and I wasn’t. I hate it for the No. 7 guys. This is exactly what I didn’t want to do there. I just wanted to give them a good run. I feel terrible.”

–Reid Spencer, NASCAR Wire Service

source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Legacy topple Team Falcons in finale of CS Asia Championship

Syndication: The Courier-JournalA custom gaming keyboard backlit with red LED lights waits for tactile input before Manual took on Boone County in a Rocket League match, which was streamed on YouTube on Thursday, March 5, 2020.

Legacy recorded a 3-1 victory over Team Falcons in the grand final of the CS Asia Championships in Shanghai on Sunday.

Team Falcons started fast with a 13-11 win on Nuke before Legacy took control of the best-of-five contest. Legacy notched a 13-9 triumph on Ancient, 13-5 victory on Mirage and 13-6 win on Dust II to take home the grand prize of $150,000.

Also on Sunday, MOUZ coasted to a 2-0 win over MIBR following a 13-3 victory on Overpass and 13-1 triumph on Ancient. With the victory, MOUZ finished third.

Sixteen teams began the $400,000 Counter-Strike 2 event on Wednesday.

CS Asia Championship prize pool:

1. $150,000 — Legacy

2. $70,000 — Team Falcons

3. $60,000 — MOUZ

4. $40,000 — MIBR

5-6. $20,000 — B8, The MongolZ

7-8. $10,000 — paiN Gaming, PARIVISION

9-12. $4,000 — TYLOO, M80, Lynn Vision Gaming, Team Liquid

13-16. $1,000 — BC.Game Esports, NRG, Ninjas in Pyjamas, 3DMAX

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

After brief stay in U.S., Tiger Woods jets back to Switzerland

Syndication: Palm Beach PostTiger Woods of Jupiter Links GC gets a hug and kiss from Vanessa Trump before match against Los Angeles Golf Club during the TGL finals at SoFi Center on March 24, 2026, in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

Tiger Woods’ $50 million private plane returned to Switzerland on Sunday, with the injured golfer presumably in line to resume his rehabilitation process.

Per Celebplanes.com, the Gulfstream V took off Saturday night from Stuart, Fla., and flew just under nine hours to Zurich.

The New York Post published photos on May 14 of Woods getting off of a private plane at Palm Beach International Airport, about 45 miles from his home on Jupiter Island, Fla. Woods reportedly had been in rehab in Switzerland, going there soon after being charged with misdemeanor DUI following a rollover crash close to home on March 27.

On April 1, Martin County Court (Fla.) Judge Darren Steele granted the motion to travel submitted by Woods’ attorney, Douglas Duncan, who cited the 50-year-old golf superstar’s need for an “intensive, highly individualized and medically integrated program” away from media and public scrutiny.

Woods, 50, recently returned to the United States, presumably to be by the side of girlfriend, Vanessa Trump, 48, after she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Trump called Woods “her strength” as she deals with her health issue.

Trump, the ex-wife of Donald Trump Jr., announced her diagnosis via social media on Thursday.

“Tiger has been very supportive of Vanessa through all of this and is really just focused on being there for her,” a source told the New York Post. “He’s proud of how positive she’s stayed and how she’s handling everything so far. She’s been so strong and he truly believes she’s going to be OK. He’s just trying to support her however he can right now.”

As for Woods, he reportedly is undergoing “intense” psychological treatment at a rehabilitation center in Switzerland to help manage what has been characterized as his dependency on painkillers.

Following the Florida accident, Woods — who has won 15 majors among his 82 career victories — said he would not play in the Masters Tournament in Augusta, Ga. He also removed his name from consideration to become captain of the United States’ 2027 Ryder Cup team.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading

Sports

Mets' Juan Soto (illness) scratched from lineup vs. Marlins

MLB: New York Mets at Miami MarlinsMay 22, 2026; Miami, Florida, USA; New York Mets designated hitter Juan Soto (22) looks on against the Miami Marlins during the fourth inning at loanDepot Park. Mandatory Credit: Sam Navarro-Imagn Images

Slugger Juan Soto was scratched from the New York Mets’ starting lineup for Sunday’s game against the host Miami Marlins due to an illness.

Mets manager Carlos Mendoza said Soto came to the ballpark on Sunday with a fever to go along with body aches.

“Soto’s ill, so he is out of the lineup,” Mendoza said prior to the game. “… He’s been battling the past three days, show up with fever today, body aches, didn’t have much sleep. Hopefully he recovers.

“There’s a lot of people for the past week have been dealing with this. Kind of a like a flu going around.”

Soto originally was slotted in the lineup as the team’s designated hitter and No. 3 in the lineup. Instead, MJ Melendez will serve as the team’s DH.

Soto, 27, belted a solo homer in New York’s 2-1 loss to Miami on Friday. The four-time All-Star and 2020 National League batting champion has a team-leading 10 homers to go along with 21 RBIs and a .294 batting average in 37 games this season.

–Field Level Media

source

Continue Reading