Sports
Rangers SS Corey Seager (back) to undergo MRI exam
May 13, 2026; Arlington, Texas, USA; Texas Rangers shortstop Corey Seager (5) throws out Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman Ildemaro Vargas (not pictured) to end the first inning at Globe Life Field. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-Imagn Images Texas Rangers star shortstop Corey Seager was out of the lineup again on Sunday and was sent to get an MRI exam on his ailing back.
Seager’s back prevented him from playing in Saturday’s 4-1 loss against the host Houston Astros. He was held out of Friday’s game for rest and began having back pain Saturday morning.
Seager told reporters on Sunday that his back was still too locked up to play.
Earlier, he had lobbied Texas manager Skip Schumaker to put his name in the starting lineup.
“He was in here before I got here,” Schumaker said. “I got here early, and he was here before me trying to get in the lineup.”
Seager, 32, is batting just .179 this season and is hitless in a career-worst 27 consecutive at-bats. He has seven home runs and 20 RBIs in 42 games.
Seager is in his fifth season with Texas and was named World Series MVP in 2023 when the Rangers beat the Arizona Diamondbacks in five games. He was the runner-up for regular-season MVP honors behind Shohei Ohtani, then of the Los Angeles Angels.
Seager also was World Series MVP with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2020. He is a five-time All-Star.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Pirates place Ryan O'Hearn on IL, activate Jake Mangum
May 13, 2026; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA; Pittsburgh Pirates right fielder Ryan O’Hearn (29) circles the baes on a solo home run against the Colorado Rockies during the sixth inning at PNC Park. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-Imagn Images The Pittsburgh Pirates placed right fielder/first baseman Ryan O’Hearn on the 10-day injured list Sunday with a right quad strain.
Outfielder Jake Mangum was reinstated from the 10-day injured list to replace O’Hearn on the 26-man roster.
O’Hearn exited Pittsburgh’s 6-0 loss to the Philadelphia Phillies on Saturday due to the injury. He said he sustained the injury while coming in to field a pop fly in the second inning.
“I felt like the very top of my quad/hip flexor grab on me, big time, and I immediately knew that felt weird,” O’Hearn told reporters. “I went inside the dugout, came out to hit, and tried to jog after the pop fly. I felt it, tried to go back out for the inning, but every time I tried to do more than a walk or slow jog, my leg was grabbing on me.”
O’Hearn, 32, is batting .289 with seven home runs and 29 RBIs in 44 games during his first season in Pittsburgh.
Mangum, 30, was placed on the injured list with a left hamstring strain on May 8, retroactive to May 6. He is batting .260 with three RBIs in 30 games this season.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Cubs add LHP Ty Blach, option LHP Javier Assad
Jun 20, 2024; Denver, Colorado, USA; Colorado Rockies starting pitcher Ty Blach (50) pitches in the fourth inning against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Coors Field. Mandatory Credit: Isaiah J. Downing-Imagn Images The Chicago Cubs selected the contract of left-hander Ty Blach from Triple-A Iowa on Sunday.
In corresponding moves, the Cubs optioned right-hander Javier Assad to Triple-A and transferred right-hander Hunter Harvey to the 60-day injured list.
Blach, 35, is set to make his Cubs debut after he went 2-3 with a 5.23 ERA in five appearances (three starts) at Iowa. Over seven major league seasons, he is 23-33 with a 5.42 ERA in 156 appearances (70 starts) for the San Francisco Giants (2016-19), Baltimore Orioles (2019) and Colorado Rockies (2022-24).
The Cubs are expected to use Blach out of the bullpen.
Assad, 28, was 3-1 with a 5.88 ERA in eight appearances (three starts) for the Cubs this season and has gone 21-13 with a 3.61 ERA in 86 career appearances (57 starts) over five seasons with Chicago.
Harvey, 31, was placed on the IL last month with right triceps inflammation after going 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA in four relief appearances this season.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Kurt Kitayama (63) ties record for lowest final round in a major
May 16, 2026; Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, USA; Kurt Kitayama reacts after the 18th hole during the third round of the PGA Championship golf tournament. Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-Imagn Images Kurt Kitayama shot a 63 to tie the record for the lowest score in the final round of a major tournament on Sunday at the PGA Championship.
The 33-year-old Kitayama, who has three top-10 finishes this season, is the only player to shoot better than 65 this week at Aronimink Golf Club in Newtown Square, Pa.
Kitayama is the ninth player to shoot a 63 in the final round of a major and matched two players who won their majors with a 63 on Sunday: Johnny Miller at the U.S. Open in 1973 at Oakmont Country Club and Henrik Stenson of Sweden who won The Open Championship in 2016 at Royal Troon.
The lowest score in any round of a major is 62, first accomplished by Branden Grace of South Africa in the third round of The Open in 2017 at Royal Birkdale; Jordan Spieth won the title.
Xander Schauffele shot a 62 twice since — at the PGA Championship at Valhalla Golf Club in 2024 and at the U.S. Open at Los Angeles Country Club in 2023. Schauffele won at Valhalla. Wyndham Clark won at Los Angeles.
Kitayama guaranteed himself a significantly higher payday on Sunday as he climbed 50 places up the leaderboard to finish the championship at 3-under 277. He was three shots back of leader Alex Smalley, who was set to tee off at 2:35 p.m. ET alongside Matti Schmid of Germany.
Schmid was one of five players who were two strokes back of Smalley at 4-under. Kitayama was tied with four players — including majors winners Rory McIlroy, Xander Schauffele and Patrick Reed — at 3-under.
Kitayama has two PGA Tour victories: the 2025 3M Open and the 2023 Arnold Palmer Invitational.
His best finish at a major came at the 2023 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Country Club, when he was T4 after a final-round 65.
–Field Level Media
