Sports
Prez Charlie Baker still wants to ad at-large bids to NCAA Tournament
NCAA president Charlie Baker still envisions an expanded NCAA Tournament field. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images NCAA president Charlie Baker rolled out the red carpet ahead of the Selection Committee exercise to set the top 16 seeds in the men’s tournament field this weekend and couldn’t help but dream of a bigger dance.
Baker and members of the Selection Committee are running their annual bracket stacking drill to be released Saturday with the public finding out where the NCAA sees the top 16 seeds in the tournament at this stage of the season.
The field will not increase in size in March. The men’s and women’s tournament field remains at 68 for 2026. But 2027 could bring a boost in field size to 72 or more, Baker has said.
“I think there’s some very good reasons to expand the tournament, so I would like to see it expand,” Baker said on Thursday in a session with select media, as detailed by tournament TV partner CBS, a network making headlines about coverage — and non-coverage — of news events and interviews. “You have to remember that some of the folks we’re talking to are going through some pretty interesting corporate conversations of their own. And I think for us, we accept and acknowledge that, but we’re still talking.”
Debate remains around how to structure a bracket growing by as many as eight spots. Baker said the number of at-large bids awarded — currently 36 — is not enough. But he doesn’t want to fiddle with the 32 at-large bids going to conference and conference tournament champions to satisfy the “bubble” teams that might be labeled the “last four out” on Selection Sunday.
“It puts some other really good teams that probably might belong there,” Baker said of the push to increase at-large bids. “But it also protects the AQs, right? Because I don’t want to end up in a situation where people say we need to do something about the AQs because we’re keeping too many good teams out of the tournament.”
–Field Level Media
Sports
O's OF Jordan Westburg physically 'unable to participate'
Sep 28, 2025; Bronx, New York, USA; Baltimore Orioles third baseman Jordan Westburg (11) hits a solo home run against the New York Yankees during the fourth inning at Yankee Stadium. Mandatory Credit: John Jones-Imagn Images Baltimore Orioles infielder Jordan Westburg was not on the field with the team for a spring training workout on Thursday, and manager Craig Albernaz doesn’t know when his status will change.
“He’s unable to participate right now,” the first-year manager said Thursday. “Getting evaluated by our medical team and also outside people. See what’s going on with Jordan and get him ready to go.”
Westburg, 27, felt his oblique tighten on the right side early in spring training. Albernaz did not specifically point to the muscle injury as the reason for his absence and wouldn’t say if he had a different injury.
Orioles president of baseball operations Mike Elias said earlier this month that Westburg’s oblique injury dates to January.
The Baltimore Banner reported Thursday, however, that Westburg had imaging done on his elbow.
“Just physically unable to go,” Albernaz said. “We want to make sure we do our due diligence. Make sure Jordan has the best chance to play this year.”
Injuries have been a hindrance in Westburg’s three seasons in Baltimore, which drafted him 30th overall in 2020 out of Mississippi State.
He played 85 games last season and required injured list stints due to a left hamstring injury and a sprained ankle. He also missed parts of 2025 spring training with back tightness. He played 107 games in 2024 and was named an All-Star, but also missed seven weeks with a fractured hand.
In 260 career games, Westburg has a .264 batting average with 38 home runs and 127 RBIs.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Top 5 Quarterback prospects in 2026 NFL Draft
Jan 31, 2026; Mobile, AL, USA; National quarterback Cole Payton (9) of North Dakota State throws the ball during the second half of the 2026 Senior Bowl at University of South Alabama, Hancock Whitney Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Vasha Hunt-Imagn Images Ahead of the 2026 NFL Scouting Combine, Field Level Media draft analysts ranked the top prospects at every position.
There is only one quarterback — Indiana’s Fernando Mendoza, the 2025 Heisman Trophy winner who helped the Hoosiers claim the national title — worthy of a first-round grade.
But quarterbacks rise as the draft closes in and reality hits the teams without a certifiable QB at the center of their plans.
Which one — or two? — could rise in 2026?
Quarterbacks are on the road to the draft with the NFL Scouting Combine next week, arriving in Indianapolis on Wednesday and Thursday for medical evaluations. They’ll conduct media sessions on Friday and be on the field Saturday for position drills, agility tests and the 40-yard dash.
Pro days often take precedent at this position. Indiana’s Fernando Mendoza plans to hold off on throwing until the on-campus workout and pro day in Bloomington on April 1.
1. Fernando Mendoza, Indiana
6-5, 225
Tall, well-built pocket passer with quick release and rapid, high-level processing speed. Wins with excellent anticipation, accuracy and ball placement.
2. Ty Simpson, Alabama
6-2, 208
Well-rounded with adequate arm strength, accuracy, even as a one-year starter who battled inconsistency and ended the season hurt (ribs).
3. Taylen Green, Arkansas
6-6, 225
If he runs a 4.5 and would consider changing positions, there will be some interest. Green might prefer to utilize his genetic lottery-winning trains — exceptional size and speed — to give QB a try. He’s the very definition of boom-or-bust.
4-T. Carson Beck, Miami
6-4, 220
Wins with accuracy and ball placement and is tough as a blitz-beating pocket passer. Arm strength isn’t elite.
4-T. Garrett Nussmeier, LSU
6-1, 215
NFL bloodlines and ties with current Saints offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier. He’s a known commodity to pro teams and two-year starter in the SEC. But injuries led to sloppy mechanics and poor production last season, when he wound up sharing the QB1 role. Earned back some points with a strong Senior Bowl, but the final grade depends almost entirely on which team is doing the math.
5. Cade Klubnik, Clemson
6-1, 210
With footwork and athletic tools, Klubnik is a pro system QB candidate because of his accuracy on short and intermediate throws. His height, top-end arm talent and deep ball accuracy limit his ceiling.
–Finding a wildcard at quarterback has forever been a front-office mission in the NFL. This year’s mid-round find could come from North Dakota State. Cole Payton, a pocket passer who thrived in the FCS with an attack mentality, can also move if the system calls for mobility or RPO-based action. Trust he will be opening eyes during QB throwing sessions at Lucas Oil Stadium. The southpaw stuck with NDSU despite hearing from Nebraska and other FBS programs late in his senior season and it has begun paying off. He got a lot of attention in Mobile at the Senior Bowl for his timing and arm talent.
–Field Level Media
Sports
Texas Tech's national title odds sink minus JT Toppin
Feb 14, 2026; Tucson, Arizona, USA; Arizona Wildcats forward Ivan Kharchenkov (8) attempts to steal the ball from Texas Tech Red Raiders forward JT Toppin (15) during the first half of the game at McKale Memorial Center. Mandatory Credit: Aryanna Frank-Imagn Images JT Toppin’s season came to an end with the torn right ACL he suffered this week, and oddsmakers believe Texas Tech’s national title hopes might have evaporated with the loss of the reigning Big 12 Player of the Year.
The 13th-ranked Red Raiders (19-7, 9-4 Big 12) served notice that they were a serious contender with their upset victory over then-No. 1 Arizona last week. After the win, Texas Tech was offered at +2500 by BetMGM to capture the national title.
However, after Toppin went down in the Red Raiders’ 72-67 loss to Arizona State on Tuesday, their title odds lengthened to +5000. DraftKings told Field Level Media that their oddsmakers moved Texas Tech’s odds to win the NCAA Tournament from +2200 to +11000 following Toppin’s injury.
The Red Raiders are now +30000 longshots to win the Big 12 title at DraftKings. That’s well behind Houston (-105), Arizona (+175), Iowa State (+600) and Kansas (+1100).
An MRI confirmed the severity of the injury for Toppin, who was hurt while driving to the basket with 6:03 remaining on Tuesday. He was assisted to the locker room a few minutes later and did not return.
The junior leads Texas Tech in scoring (21.8), rebounding (10.8) and blocked shots (1.7) per game. The team’s next-leading scorer is Christian Anderson at 19.0 points per game and while the Red Raiders have two more double-digit scorers, Toppin’s defensive presence will be difficult to replace.
No one else on the team is averaging more than LeJuan Watts’ 6.1 rebounds per game, with the dropoff to the third-leading rebounder being Jaylen Petty at 3.6. Luke Bamgboye is also averaging 1.7 blocks per game, but after that no one on the roster is averaging more than 0.3 per game.
–Field Level Media
